Thursday, December 13, 2012

We Really Must Insist (The Lumineers)





 


Remember, Lord, your great mercy and love, for they are from of old. 

-Psalm 25:6
I wish I was more stubborn. It runs in my family. I had a couple famously stubborn grandparents, and then there’s my stubborn mother/father (according to my father/mother), and certain other relatives bearing this particular resemblance.  But not me; I guess, because there had to be at least one compromiser in the family, or it's an unfortunate symptom of my need to people please. At any rate, stubbornness has been something I’ve had to cultivate.  

 But there are just some things upon which we must insist. I learned this lesson from my stubborn mother, who her kids along to union rallies and public protests at the capitol building: upon the rights and dignity of workers, we must insist. I learned this lesson from my stubborn father, whom I watched step into the middle of conflict, big or small, employing integrity and honesty to mediate: upon peace and reconciliation we must insist. I do not laud stubbornness for stubbornness sake, not for insisting on its own way or on frivolous preferences, but when it comes to the well-being of others, issues of justice, showing mercy and love to our neighbors, we must insist. Stubbornly insist.

Sometimes the right response to the needs that are uncovered, heard, spoken in the spirit of Advent, is to join our voices in saying the need, join our wills in the insistence that these needs (ours and others’) be addressed. Sometimes all our hope has to feed on is sheer stubbornness; a refusal to give up, a refusal to forget, a refusal to go to sleep.
Stubborn Love by The Lumineers


Do you ever wonder how God experiences waiting? What is waiting like for the God who first desired to wipe out violence among the first people populating the earth; the God who has longed for a family since the first promise of descendants as numerous as the stars? Traditionally, during advent we remember the waiting of the people of God, across centuries, their longing for a Messiah to come. But we also remember that they did not wait in a Divinity void. Generation after generation God dwelt, spoke, provided, called, delivered, and lead her people. Stubborn God so longed for us, that eventually God became the message of Love: breathing, walking, and giving Loveself to the world.

This Love echoes in our song today; a song about love that in spite of pain, and in opposition to indifference, remains; screaming out, refusing to leave, it can’t be told otherwise. This stubborn love is the path of the followers of God. As the birth of the babe in Bethlehem (and his life, death and resurrection) teach us, it is love above all, upon which we must insist.

What is the God of Stubborn Love calling you to insist upon today? On whose behalf is the God of Insistent Love inviting you to stubborn today?


Divine Love, make us stubborn in our concern for one another, empower us to insist on behalf of the vulnerable among us, and hold us all together with a love that refuses to let us go.


-Lindsey




**This week, we'll take YOUR suggestions for what songs help you Seed the Hope or Resist the Sleep. Post a YouTube link with your thoughts and we'll re-post them all on our Saturday post.**

3 comments:

  1. Awesome. awesome. awesome. I'm so glad you are doing this and I'm so glad I know you!!

    My song that seeds hope in this season is called "There's Still My Joy" by the Indigo Girls. I'm just highly aware of the grief and loss this season brings to so many--and yet there's still our joy for Christmas day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The song that give me seeds of hope this season is "As" by Stevie Wonder.
    I love these lyrics and listening to this song gives me JOY!
    There is a lot of grief in my community but this some definitely speaks to my spirit and gives me hope!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWhMyOs0pCQ

    "As around the sun the earth knows she's revolving
    And the rosebuds know to bloom in early May
    Just as hate knows love's the cure
    You can rest your mind assure
    That I'll be loving you always
    As now can't reveal the mystery of tomorrow
    But in passing will grow older every day
    Just as all is born is new
    Do know what I say is true
    That I'll be loving you always "

    ReplyDelete
  3. A song that I offer is "Rise to the Sun" by Alabama Shakes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPM27mPK2EU

    Advent this year has been a lot about re-calling what it means to belong for me while existing in a new space. The song helps me grieve homesickness with force.

    --sarah davelaar

    ReplyDelete