Thursday, December 19, 2013

The Baby Rebel (Jackson Browne)


"And the families hurrying to their homes
As the sky darkens and freezes 
They'll be gathering around the hearths and tales 
Giving thanks for all god's graces 
And the birth of the rebel Jesus." 



My brother makes fun of me, for many things (I know, that's what kid brothers do). But specifically at this time of year, he is annually hilarified by my chronic inability to remember the lyrics of Christmas songs. The carols my family has been singing every year since I was able to talk, those ones that get stuck in your head for days and weeks, yep, those. I can't remember their words, or more accurately I will mix them up, combine them in weird ways, sometimes make things up.

My defense is usually that they are hard to keep straight, many of them say very similar (really lovely) things about peace and joy, night, sleep, glory and light (I do really love Christmas hymns, but I can't just roll over when my brother makes fun, you understand) and besides they have old-timey language and phrases, like the one that led me to believe that "Hark the Herald" was a verb phrase for many years of my life. 

In contrast, today's song is pretty straight up, just putting it out there with the plain speak of every day life, which might be part of why I like it. Also, because it is the only Christmas song I know (or remember) that refers to the babe of the manger as The Rebel Jesus. 


Full lyrics here.


The lyrics don't pull any punches, the singer's not mincing words, but saying exactly what's on his mind. There are some lyrics that I am not sure I like, and some that make me wonder about the singer's perspective and then about my own, but that is why it stays on my Advent playlist. It is evocative, there are several ideas, phrases, words that raise questions for me, that elicit reactions and bring me up short. In the end, maybe Jackson Browne captures the spirit of the rebel Jesus pretty well, that baby rebel about whom the prophet said: 

“This boy is assigned to be the cause of the falling and rising of many in Israel and to be a sign that generates opposition so that the inner thoughts of many will be revealed.” 
Luke 2:34

...that baby who grew up to turn the status quo inside-out, who answered questions with questions, and redrew all the lines; that rebel who still challenges us, makes us think, trips us up.




So today, friends, I am throwing it back to you. What does this song evoke for you? Which lyrics catch you? What questions do they ask you? 




-Lindsey

1 comment:

  1. I really like the ending lyric: "...I bid you cheer from a heathen and a pagan on the side of the rebel Jesus." It makes me wonder what exactly it means to be on the side of the rebel Jesus? And calls to mind the long list of those deemed to be"heathens," who in the wider witness of history turned out to be working in the same cause as Jesus.

    ReplyDelete