Monday, December 9, 2013

Focusing on the Questions (The Suburbs)

image courtesy Jeremiah Peterson
                         "Well I was walking through the middle of town
                         and I said to myself, 'What's going on?'

                         People breaking the law just to make ends meet,
                         people breaking their hearts just to stay off the street

                         And written on the wall for everyone to see
                         was 'Love is the Law'  - right there on the street"

Sometimes Advent is easy to find, but hard to hold on to. In the same way that I quickly forget to mindfully open Advent calendars or light candles, obvious Advent truths can slip away from me when I don't pay attention. This song by The Surburbs is a case in point: of course I agree that Love is the Law, the underpinning of all Creation, Love-made-Flesh at Christmas, Love-made-Future in Advent. Of course.

But honestly, have I really thought it out fully? Do I agree that Love is the Law even when it comes to my ideas about justice? Do I agree even when it comes to what will deeply inconvenience me or make me profoundly uncomfortable? Even when it comes to experiencing risk or loss, for myself or those I love?


How far does Love take us?

These lyrics don't answer. They aren't a theological treatise, or an ethical essay. Like any great pop song, they rely on musical hooks (and a splash of horns). But in the midst of this catchiness, repeated over and over, until it becomes a declaration, an admonition, maybe even a prophetic exhortation is this: 

                                      "Love is the, Love is the
                                        Love is the, Love is the
                                        Love is the, Love is the Law."


Love is the Law, The Suburbs, 1984

The suspense of waiting to hear what "Love", in fact, "is," might remind me this Advent, of what Love isn't
because 
Love 
isn't 
The
Polite Suggestion 
or Occasional Luxury 
or Foolhardy Wish 
or Inevitable Command
it is 
Law
breakable or choose-able
but bound deep within us,
written into the marrow of Creation.

So this Advent I choose to keep wrestling with the questions this song won't just answer for me: 

How far will I let Love take me? How will this Love change me, again and again?

May it be so for you as well.

Shine On.


The days are surely coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah. It will not be like the covenant that I made with their ancestors when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt—a covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, says the LordBut this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. No longer shall they teach one another, or say to each other, “Know the Lord,” for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, says the Lord; for I will forgive their iniquity, and remember their sin no more.
- Jeremiah 31:31-34

                                                                                                -- Anna

1 comment:

  1. I'm loving this reminder that the law can be broken or embraced.

    ReplyDelete