Saturday, December 10, 2011

Sat Dec.10 - Christmas Don't Be Late (Rosie Thomas)




Christmas, Christmastime is near
Time to look back on the year
Please bring joy to mom and dad
Help my brother, he's been sad

Fill our home with laughter too
And a lovely pot for soup
Love for all and peace and past
Oh Christmas, get here fast



 “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these." -Mark 10:14


Ok, ready you chipmunks?...Oh, wait. It's not that version?
          

        I do love this song. It is filled with the wonder, impatience and faith that I remember feeling as a child; in true Advent style it is mixed with a dose of ordinary brokenness, the things for which we daily long. But the thing I love about these lyrics is the child-like feeling they have. The singer's Christmas wishes for planes and hula hoops live right next to those like “help my brother, he’s been sad.”  There is a sort of indiscriminate hope or an openness to the possibility of what can be, that children live into so well during this time of year. A child-like faith, that may believe in the possibility of a gifted lego set, just as well as the possibility of human transformation.

        It makes me wonder if my limited Christmas wish list of socks, a book and maybe a board game should be amended to include a repaired relationship or a job for my friend. Now part of me, even as I write this, thinks it is silly. I know that relationship will take much longer to repair than Christmas and it is highly unlikely that my friend will find a job in the next two weeks. In a season that begins with an angel’s pronouncement that all things are possible with God, I can't help but wonder what it says about me that I do not even think to wish for these things? Perhaps there is something to be reclaimed from childhood; some recognition of a deep magic or wide possibility, if you prefer; that divine characteristic that permeates the sacred story which we remember and celebrate in this season.  

May the wonder of the season expand our sense of what is possible. May we be vulnerable enough to name our wishes and bold in our hope for their fulfillment.


Here are some vulnerable and hopeful wishes, curtosey of  http://www.emailsanta.com/ - may they inspire our own hoping and wishing:


If you can bring me a brother or sister, it doesn't matter what they look like, or what color they are, or how old they are, ( just not real old, like 60years old) someone who likes to play scoccor and basketball with me. And if you bring me a baby sister, then she can share my room, and I will take care of her always, I promise. Thanks Santa
- Blair, 5.


Please bring presents to all the kids, especially the poor ones who have not even one toy. I dont think it woud be a very merry Christmas if poor kids didn't get anything!!
- Julian, 8.


Our dog, Champ, won't be with us this year. He was 12 years old. He got sick so we had to put him down in September. We will miss him lots. We always hung a stocking for him and you always put some goodies in for him.
Aaron, 6.


Why can't christmas be every day?
-Daniel, 3.


Santa I also want mommy and daddy to be nice to each other.
-Anonymous


Please make it snow this year so i can make a snowman and have snowball fights with my dad.
- Kyle, 8.

Christmas is my favorite day of the year because it shows love and people show love.
- Shavonn, 11.

I really want a parent for my best friend Jade.
- Laura, 9.


-Lindsey

1 comment:

  1. I hear you, I sure find it hard to name and really dare to hope for the fulfillment of some of those deepest, most vulnerable longings. And yet, when I do, I find it so life-giving. There is somehow a kind of joy just in knowing that I am not whole in some way, that I hope for things to change. True hope, for things great or small, is such an act of courage, and sometimes defiance.

    Also, I just read this, and it seems to speak to this as well: http://presbypeacefellowship.org/node/521

    ReplyDelete