Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Wed Jan. 4 I Release and I Let Go (Florence and the Machine)

Christ has set us free to live a free life. So take your stand! Never again let anyone put a harness of slavery on you.
-Galatians 5:1 (The Message)






This song, and the music of Florence and the Machine in general, I find to be rich in imagery and emotion. Every time I listen it resonates with me and sparks some different thought, question or memory. Today I offer them, patchwork style, hoping that these words and this music will create some sparks in you, too.


 Florence and the Machine: Shake it Out
**Some strong language



I'm always dragging that horse around
All of his questions, such a mournful sound
Tonight I'm gonna bury that horse in the ground
I like to keep my issues drawn
cause it's always darkest before the dawn


Is this theme too late, we are four days in. People've started over already, haven't they? Begun already out-withed the old and in-withed the new? Have I begun already? Yep, begun and begun again.

Beginning as one point of time somehow isn't working for me.
The newness of this year feels blunted by my sameness; perhaps I didn't really intend to be changed, or did that step of beginning unearth some old pieces of my self that I didn't know were down there?

and I am done with my graceless heart
so tonight I'm gonna cut it out and restart


How can I still be holding that fear? anger? expectation? I let it go so many times.


A friend wisely said to me once, we should take a hint from our bodies. When there is something in there that is not good, the body does what it has to expell it. Some times we need to take our issues out and disect them or analyze them, sometimes we just need to know its bad for us and get it out, let it go.






That which we cling to, shapes us. Teach us to chose wisely what we hold to ourselves and that which we release to spiral away into the world.


Shake it out, shake it out, oh woah
and it's hard to dance with the devil on your back
so shake him off


"Shake therapy" is Kate's favorite thing. My friend didn't patent the idea but she may be it's greatest evangelist. When she finds herself carrying the detriments of stress in her body or when she is frustrated or angry, she will literally shake all of her limbs as hard as she can to release the stress that is harmful to her spirit and her muscles. When I have been present this shaking has transformed our frustration into riotous laughter (my favorite kind of release) on both our parts, and I believe there is something to it.

I release you, fear... I give you back....
You are not my shadow any longer.
I won’t hold you in my hands.
You can’t live in my eyes, my ears, my voice my belly, or in my heart

-Joy Harjo

(inspired I say) I release you, my fear and my self protection. I shake you off, lies of inferiority and I unwrap tight fingers from you, bitterness. Then I prepare myself to do this again tomorrow.


Cause looking for heaven, for the devil in me
Looking for heaven, for the devil in me
Well what the hell I'm gonna let it happen to me


There is a kind of grace that we need in letting go, it is hard. And there is a kind of grace that we receive in letting go - the free-fall kind, the just-be kind, that grace where we don't have to work as hard as we think we do, where we can be who we are, where we can chose to let something go over and over and over, trusting God each time to move, further and further from our grasping hands that which is harmful and to place in them, instead, something new.

So, as Florence says, "what the hell, I'm gonna let it happen to me."










Gentle God, uncover in us that which needs release, strengthen our hands to open, to let go and to receive.

-Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment